Topics Forums Leopard Geckos Cricket Contest

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Aleigha Smith
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Hey guys!! I was born today, July 15th!!! Help me get some critter gold to make my first meals good ones. If mom and dad are nice, I might even share with them.

Zoodulcis

Wow, just a day old and already climbing the walls. That one’s going to be a handful. Any siblings?

Aleigha Smith
        Participant

My sibling got turned while getting taken out of moms home, and she didn’t make it but I have 4 younger siblings on the way incubating. I already have some crickets gut loading to make my first meal nutritious in a couple days when I finish my first shed. But I can’t wait to see if I am a Lavnder blood morph, my orange is showing through but I can’t wait to see if I have some of my dad’s strong purple come through.

Zoodulcis

The purple or the orange, which is it to be? Both are gorgeous, of course. What is the date of the blessed event of the other sibling?

Aleigha Smith
          Participant

The purple will most likely just be spotting and stripes on the tail. The next 2 eggs are 36 days old and need about 3 weeks more before hatching. The last 2 eggs are only 15 days along and will still need another month at least.

Zoodulcis

Gosh, the little one above will certainly be able to claim older brother/sister points. Sounds like you have been breeding Leos for a while. When did you get started and why?

Aleigha Smith
          Participant

Actually this is my first ever hatchling but I did hours of research and asked a lot of questions; so honestly I’m impressed, you think I am knowledgeable. I wanna do right by them and enjoy the hobby, and maybe a little part obsessive love of caring for animals. But my boyfriend loves my male Leo and he wanted one of his own so we got him a girl and said why not, and set everything up and we want to expand more into other reptiles when we get a house. I would like to do beardies and maybe another Leo morph or 2.

Zoodulcis

Well congratulations!! You did what so many pet owner’s will not do, researched in advance. Too many spontaneous purchases ‘cuz I saw it at the pet store and it was just so cute’ end in tears for the owner the death of the pet. Yes, you do seem knowledgable and I think you will find that raising reptiles is a hoot, when done correctly and carefully. Beardies are of course an awesome next choice, and if you like snakes and all, I think ball pythons are the way to go.

What gut load product do you use, or do you make your own?

Aleigha Smith
          Participant

I have been using flunkers high calcium cricket diet with repicalcium dust. She isn’t eating yet but I haven’t seen her she’s yet but her skin is going a little milky so I expect it soon and then she will be hungry. If you have any advice on raising them or taming I will gladly take it.

Zoodulcis

Greetings,

I sent a lengthy response to you question about husbandry and handling, yet I don’t see it posted here. This has never happened before. You should have received it early yesterday. Please let me know if nothing showed up.

Aleigha Smith
          Participant

Nothing showed up, I’m sorry about that.

Zoodulcis

Not your fault! I have covid, but I am trying to keep up with folks on the forum anyway. Likely my blunder. In a nutshell, for such a youngin’ bear in mind that they have a very short digestive tract. True of all leos. But at this tender young age, a beginning diet of soft bodied worms is great. In a few weeks, crickets and dubia roaches will be fine. Mealworms should be avoided. Substrate, when not using paper towels, should be organic and fine grained, so any accidentally ingested material can easily pass through and not lead to impaction. No sand, ever, but I’m sure you know that.

For handling, placing a hand underneath him several times per week, not exceeding 5 days per week, will be a good way to start. Just handle him/her in the terrarium at first, not clutching her or lifting her out. Do this habituation with the hand for 7-10 days. This gentle treatment will build trust and prevent stress or alarm.

Eventually, you will be able to lift the little one out of the tank. Maddeningly slow with each step is the best course of action, until at least 3 months of age. Trust is everything here with their developing brains. But once that trust has been established, reptiles are not prone to reversing it. Their brains are not that nimble. That doesn’t mean they are stupid, but that they encode threats and safety in different ways than mammals.

I hope that is helpful and I am available for further advice as needed.

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});