• Author
    Posts Favorite

joycechambers51
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

“Where Da Crickets At?”

joycechambers51
      Participant

Nothing cuter than a baby beardie with a full belly!

Zoodulcis

Holy Toledo!! Are there 4,5,or 6 dragons in this photo? All siblings?

joycechambers51
        Participant

Yes. Just babies, about 5 weeks old.

Zoodulcis

Are you a breeder? If so, what do you like most about raising these little cuties?

joycechambers51
          Participant

I just breed a couple of pairs a year for the enjoyment of it. Watching mama dig to lay her eggs is exciting, as well as the care she takes to cover them.
          Putting them in the incubator is fulfilling because you know this is the beginning of new life.
          When the first baby sticks it’s little nose out of the egg is beautiful! Then seeing all the sweet little babies resting after they hatch is amazing. They’re scared of your hand for the first few days, but then they figure out where the food comes from and then later, they run toward you when you walk into the room. Lol. All in all, a great experience.

Zoodulcis

That sounds like a very awesome and fulfilling experience. That is the very heart of what conscientious breeding of pet animals should be all about. What fun to see the little hatchlings start to really bond with their human friends. I assume that you eventually sell them to deserving new owners that you believe will be good beardie parents, true?

joycechambers51
          Participant

Yes, it’s a very rewarding experience. I encourage the new owners to contact me if they ever have any questions. I also like to see pictures if they don’t mind. Kind of like an “open adoption” 🙂 I don’t encourage breeding. It’s not for everyone. It’s definitely not a “money-making” venture.
          But for me, it’s satisfying. All my babies are very well-socialized by the time they go to their new homes. I think that’s important.

Zoodulcis

I agree completely with all of your sentiments. Can I ask how long you have been doing this and what got you started with beardies?

joycechambers51
          Participant

I got my first beardie, Spike, in 2015.
          A friend of mine worked at Petco and he was surrendered back to them by someone who could no longer care for him. As she already had one, she couldn’t keep him. She asked if I wanted him,so I took him and read all I could about bearded dragons. I joined a few FB reptile groups and asked lots of questions. A few months later, someone advertised needing to rehome a beardie who turned out to be gravid. I bought an incubator and made her a laying box. The one thing I didn’t know was that females can lay 3-4 clutches of eggs in a season from one mating! And so it began.

Zoodulcis

What a funny accidental journey into breeding. It sometimes happens that way. I once got two free baby goats to keep an orphaned calf company. I got out of the cattle business but fell so much in love with goats that I still have them, twenty years later. Another accidental journey into professional animal keeping and breeding!

DELANA M DIAMOND
      Participant

Cricket gold?

Viewing 3 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});