Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Cricket Contest

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Ana
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

This is Toothless she is very calm but doesn’t like to be messed with too much likes to eat a lot and loves to sun bathe a lot. She is 3 months and still growing she has gotten super big since we got her in February 08, 2020 and she is sometimes very silly. We love her just the way she is though wouldn’t have her any other way lol.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Ana.

Ana
      Participant

He is another picture of Toothless while I was holding her she doesn’t fit in my hand anymore, like when she was little lol.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Ana.

Zoodulcis

Sounds like Toothless doesn’t like to be handled much. She could change her mind, eventually. Handling twice a week is not too much, although if it seems to be stressful for her, only handle her after she’s had a couple of days off. That way any unusual cortisol spike from a stress-related response will be long gone. It also gives her a chance to mentally process the experience after she’s decompressed from a cortisol high, and realize that no harm occurred. Expect this to take many weeks, but eventually, I think you will find you have a much friendlier beardie.

Ana
        Participant

Thank you so much for the advice I would definitely give that a try I handled her yesterday for a couple minutes and put her back but I will do it again in a couple of days. She was very active to go back in her habitat that I had to get out of the room where her habitat is placed or she gets very anxious.

Zoodulcis

Ah ha, more info on her behavior has given me another thought. This is an old falconer’s trick, and I have used it many times with a new, young, nervous hawk. Take a book or a magazine or tablet with you, something that you can read. No typing, reading only. Pull up a chair and sit right next to her. Do nothing other than read and turn pages, keeping your eye on the reading materials only. Make no eye contact with her whatsoever. Slowly and deliberately, after reading for 30 minutes to an hour, turn your head away from her enclosure, rise slowly and leave the room. You can do this every day, if you wish, because any stress created will be at a much lower level than actual handling. This is referred to as ‘habituation’ in other words letting her get used to you in the absence of any threat. Eventually, she will get tired of over-reacting. You will know it has worked when she no longer tries to hide or run around, just sits and stares at you.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});