Topics Forums Crested Geckos Cricket Contest

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Amanda Stauffer
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

“Bugs?! I’ll be your friend if you have bugs!” It’s about the oy time Sugar Bear is willing to come out, although she does like to creepily stare from the inside of her hiding spots and watch what you’re doing 😅

Zoodulcis

This must be the shy one. She doesn’t that shy right now!!😅

Zoodulcis

Doesn’t look that shy, that is. 🙄

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

That’s her favorite perch spot whenever she’s out 😅 she’ll climb my face to get to her destination without a second thought! She makes better hair accessories than hair accessories

Zoodulcis

Sounds like new product line potential. Hair geckos. I bet she gets bolder as time goes on. Have you seen evidence of that over time?

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

I was just talking to a friend about it and calling it gecko butt accessories 🤣 just have tails and things attached to clips so it looks like there’s a geck stuck in your hair. She’s hit or miss with the personality. It depends on the noise level and if she feels like it. I see her up high about every three nights and maybe once every two weeks or so she comes out on her own. Unless you have bugs, then she’s your best friend. She’s the one that likes watching you from the inside of her enclosure like a creep 😅

Zoodulcis

That’s brilliant! The gecko butt thing. Better check Etsy first and make sure it hasn’t been done already. It’s amazing the wacky things you can find there.

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

I agree 🤣 some unique products out there. She did come to the enclosure door last night and let me take a picture, but then ran away and hid

Zoodulcis

Hey, take what you can get from Sugar Bear, but perhaps she getting ready for a new and friendlier phase of adult life.

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

Haha I’m fine if she wants to hide for the rest of her life, she’s such a sweet baby. I have some leos that enjoy being out more than others, too. “Leave the foods and walk away, human!”

Zoodulcis

Well it’s good that you are so accepting of each one’s differences. Appreciating them for who and what they are is half the fun of ownership, or allowing them to own us!

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

I love it. Some enjoy head pats and roaming while others just enjoy looking at what they have. It’s like they know they’re safe and can run to their favorite hide (unless I’m cleaning, then they’re SOL until I’m done 🤣)

Zoodulcis

Do they react strongly to the sound of the vaccuum cleaning, or are you referring to a different kind of cleaning?

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

Cleaning out their tanks because I have to disturb them. Sugar has made a home in my hoodies until I’m done and put her back. The leos are interested in the vacuum, though. My youngest come out to check out what the noise is 🤣

Zoodulcis

Oh that’s hilarious. Many pets are terrified of a vacuum. But it seems as though some animals can get used to anything. My goats get uncomfortably (for me) close to a running chainsaw, because they now associate it with free bark and fun things to chew on!!

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

“Ooo! Mom’s making snacks again! I wanna watch!” 🤣

Zoodulcis

Yeah, that’s about right. The noise really bothers me, I don’t know how they can stand it, but they can.

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

Maybe positive association? Noise = snacks = awesome 🤣

Zoodulcis

I’m sure it’s that sort of a weird conditioned response.

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

It’s funny how we associate things like that, even as humans

Zoodulcis

So true!! Like when cats hear the can opener. You don’t have to teach them what that means. And expectations can change, in pets and in people. I no longer assume that when the phone rings its a friend or business associate, but I have become conditioned to assume it is a robocall! And sadly, I’m usually right.

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

🤣 when my mom’s cat knows she’s home and is cooking, but hears the garage door open, he knows it’s her boyfriend and waits for him at the door bc he gives him treats. And I completely agree about the calls. Texting is more than likely how you can best reach me, otherwise if it’s important leave a message.

Zoodulcis

A shame the world has come to that, that businesses can use our own phones, that we pay for, against us. I have noticed a decline in robocalls during life in times of coronavirus. I used to get about 4 per day, now it’s down to one.

Do you ever take any of your numerous scale babies outside when the sun is out and the weather is awesome?

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

I’ve gotten some credit collection calls, like I have the money to pay you now?! No.

I’ve tried! My purdy isn’t a fan of the sun in her eyes, but she’s an albino leo, so I expected that. There’s a few that love it and others that are not so much a fan. My beardie just sits there and looks around 🤣 I do wanna make an outside box for the leos eventually! I think that would be wonderful, especially since they’ve all gotten their check ups and fecal testing.

Zoodulcis

Providing all of the luxuries we want our pets to have, like the perfect outdoor cage, sure can become a full-time job. It does give us something to do and keep our mind off unpleasant things.

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

I think one day I would also enjoy making a bioactive (or at least half of a bioactive) for all of my “babies”. I make my own hides with Styrofoam and grout and sealer when I have the time, but having kids does dig into that. I did make them after they went to bed or before they woke up, but now I’m with #3, and have less energy 😅 so I sleep in most of my spare time when she lets me 😂

Zoodulcis

Wow, making your own hides with everything else going on! People have expressed that making bioactive enclosures is a lot of fun, once you have all the proper items and substrate stuff together. When are you due?

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

I haven’t made much time for them with this whole thing going on, just trying to finish up a few here and there. A lot of Styrofoam is cut out and put together already, I just have to cover it in grout and sealer. August 13th is when I’m going in for surgery. I’ve had two c-sections and this will be my third and last! 😂 I was pregnant before this whole thing started, so I wasn’t quite expecting a different well check or hospital routine

Zoodulcis

Scary times for pregnant gals right now. I hope the timing of the C-section is perfect, and this stupid pandemic is at its lowest point for you at that stressful time. I hope you have plenty of help around the house and with the other kiddos at that time.

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

I think at this point if I could I’d have a home birth 😅 but my eldest was breech and they told me I needed one for him, then I opted to just get one with my second, sooooo now I’m getting one with my third and this is it! I don’t feel scared, just weird about the hospital situation because we don’t know if they’re going to let people in, but if there’s positive people at my facility, what’s to say one of us won’t get it while we’re there? Especially because the baby and I are going to be the most vulnerable during the stay.

Zoodulcis

Oh yikes, you have every reason to be nervous. But really, it sounds like you don’t have much choice. By that time, if family is unable to help, housekeeping and other services to help out and let you recover might be available. And also, when the blessed event occurs, don’t be afraid to push against hospital staff if you see something wrong. They are wonderful human beings, but they get overworked and overtired just like any other heroes. If you see something that strikes you as unsafe, let them know firmly. Trust me, I’ve done it and gotten results.

The nice thing about reptiles is you don’t have to take them for a daily walk while you have abdominal stitches 🤔

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

I think the best part about it is that it’s planned, so I can do everything for them the night before I go in and not have to have my boyfriend worry about much. No one actually eats every day, so it’s one less thing for him to worry about 😂

Zoodulcis

Very wise. And yeah, that is the nice thing about a scheduled blessed event. Do you know if boy or girl? Not the reptiles, silly, the little human package 🤣!!

Amanda Stauffer
          Participant

It’s like the best part about the whole thing, minus the quick delivery time with little pain 🤣 Another little girl to give me a run for my money 😆

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});