Topics Forums Everything Else Cricket Contest

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Leslie Gray
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Corona, Corona, Corona!
      Covid 19 has struck my classroom and sent these friends home with me a little earlier than planned. Want to know more about this Nurse Log Project? Please read on!
      As an 8th grade Environmental Science teacher, I not only like to teach about all things in nature, but I also like to spend as much of my personal time outdoors wandering in the woods.I find the recycling of nature to be fascinating, so I decided to bring home a downed white oak tree limb to study throughout the school year with my students. I found a limb that was just long enough to fit in the aquarium along with some dirt and moss from the environment around it. It had already started the process of decomposition as it was covered by lichen, moss and mushrooms. I was excited!
      But my students were not!
      Where are the animals they asked? Can’t we put some pets in there? So back to the woods I went where I collected 4 Wood frogs, 1 Leopard Frog, 1 blue spotted salamander, 1 Eastern Red Backed Salamander and 1 Eastern Musk Turtle all from the same area where I got the tree limb. My goal was to keep the ecosystem as close to authentic as possible. My students were really enjoying watching our pets in a natural setting. Figuring out what they would eat (the frogs love crickets!)
      I would consider my entry into the contest to be very unique! Vote for my Nurse Log Project! I have 4 hungry frogs to feed!!!

Zoodulcis

Funny how kids aren’t nearly as excited about the simple things in nature, like fascinating logs, as the teachers are. Acquiring things that move is always more fascinating to the young. I have a suggestion. Have all of those housebound students log into this site and give this posting a critter gold. One per student is all that is allowed, but still over the next two weeks it could really add up and you might win. That should tickle those kids a little!

Leslie Gray
        Participant

Hey! Thanks for the suggestion, I’m on it!

Zoodulcis

Oh good! How many students do you think will participate?

Zoodulcis

OMG…you already have 33 golds! Way to go students. And teacher of course. Have they had fun doing this?

Leslie Gray
          Participant

They have had fun! I hope to get a few more votes before the end of the contest!

Zoodulcis

Well, there are several more days left, but you may be way ahead of the pack already. Are the students doing any research on this micro-habitat as part of their at-home learning?

Barbara Spadafore
      Participant

Good luck Leslie! Reminds me of a little boy you walked through a Garter Snake habitat many years ago!

Leslie Gray
        Participant

Yes! Lol!

Leslie Gray
          Participant

Hello!
          Did we win?

Zoodulcis

Sorry Leslie, I just checked and saw that April’s winner got 60 critter golds. I think that is a record so far. I would encourage you to try again, because you guys had the second most.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});