Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Cricket Contest

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Melissa
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Jabo spends most of his time on his hammock with his leg hanging off. He is one hilarious big boy.

Zoodulcis

He is hilarious. He is managing to look noble and casual at the same time. How old is he?

Melissa
        Participant

Thanks! He is 4 months old.

Zoodulcis

Oh gosh, I would have guessed he was older than that. He must be getting good care. How many crickets does he eat each week?

Melissa
        Participant

Hahah! He is a big eater! I hardly feed crickets. He loves his dubias. He loves his greens too. Never thought a beardie would love greens but he eats every bit. I feed about 12 dubias a day. Maybe once a week if that many, I’ll feed crickets. He like other feeders as well but his favorite is dubias.

jsnascar09
      Participant

He is a good size. I used paper towels for the bottom of Chessie’s cage also but just switched to stone tiles and she loves them. The tiles also hold the heat of the lights a bit better, and at 79 cents to 1.00 each at the hardware store they don’t break the bank. Also get a few extra so when it time to clean one you can swap it out and clean it and let it dry.

Melissa
        Participant

I’ve thought about that also. I’m getting tired of washing his carpet so i just put paper towels down so i can remove it and replace. I will go today and get a few at Home Depot and try it out. Thanks so much! 😊

Zoodulcis

I’m with Chessie’s dad. I highly recommend tiles for the same reasons. I like a little loose sand in between tiles that are on a netted surface. That’s normally where grout would go, but the sand is attractive and keeps feces on top of the tiles, instead of letting some fall in between occasionally.

Melissa
        Participant

Nice! I got the tile yesterday I paid 25$ for 4 of them. I guess i went overboard looking for a fancy type of tile! Lol Going to put them in today. Do you know if it’s okay to use a clear silicone around the tank to seal on the sides? I work construction and we use it a lot around windows. Just making sure it won’t harm him in any way. Thanks so much!

Zoodulcis

Long term, there is nothing wrong with silicone sealant. Short term, off-gassing could be an issue. My recommendation is to take him out for at least 4 hours after application, then when you put him back in, direct a small fan in the direction of the tank for the next 24 hours. I’m assuming you have a screen top. Monitor temperatures and humidity during this time, because the action of the fan will change those things from what you and he are used to. You may need to adjust lamps and or/heating pads during this time. After that, it should all be good.

Melissa
        Participant

Thanks! You are awesome!

Zoodulcis

Ah golly, I do what I can. How do your tiles seem to be working as far as heat retention goes?

jsnascar09
        Participant

I have a few of the planter heating mats under the tank for extra heat in the winter, mainly at night the lights and the ceramic heat bulbs along with a inkbird temp controller keep the temp perfect all day and night and keep the tiles nice and toasty. Yea Chessie is a lot spoiled as most pets should be!!!

Melissa
        Participant

I measured the his enclosure and i got the right size though went to put it in and it didn’t fit by half an inch. I have a 125g that I’m going to set up for him and see if i can get them inside of that enclosure.

Viewing 6 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});