Topics Forums Chameleons Cricket contest

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

John Banuelos
      Participant
      Cricket contest

My wife’s chameleon Eleanor shes about 6 months old currently.

Zoodulcis

So nice to see reptile keeping as a family affair. What got you guys interested in them originally?

John Banuelos
        Participant

I love all animals, I have since I was a toddler, my wife on the other hand does not hate animals she just doesn’t want to take care of them.
        For some reason though she loves Chameleons and has absolutely no issues with taking care of her.
        Shes afraid of all bugs but I told her she will at least handle the crickets if she wants this Chameleon and she has done it. Not without a little screaming and dancing but she does it lol.
        I handle the Dubias and superworms though.
        Also have a fancy hamster and 3 dogs.
        I am about to purchase a tarantula when they are in stock again.

Zoodulcis

John you be da man! It’s always good for families to agree on pet care duties in advance. Too many people end up letting their kids talk them into a pet they desire, but then will not take care of, and the adults end up doing it or rehoming the pet, which is often pretty traumatic for all concerned.

I notice that this enclosure is fully screened. Do you find that you have challenges with humidity levels?

John Banuelos
        Participant

So far no. We do need a new humidity gauge but she mist the cage down twice a day and the bottom of the cage is filled with live plants. Our house is between 69 and 75 degrees all day and we live in northern California.
        I went with open because everything I read about glass enclosures was negative becaue it causes stale air.
        So far so good it’s been since December and Eleanor is more then double her original size.

Zoodulcis

Wow you talk about a growing girl! How many crickets does she eat per day and is it fun watching your wife dance around while putting the crickets in? 🤣

John Banuelos
        Participant

It is funny as hell.

She eats twice a day between 25-35 med size crickets per meal then I let her eat a couple of superworms or dubias from my hand ever couple of days.
        After a year old though this should slow down to eating ever other day or so.

Zoodulcis

That’s hilarious. I bet your wife doesn’t put superworms in her hand for Eleanor to eat. So you have two chameleons total?

John Banuelos
        Participant

No just the one and my bearded. I am in the process of getting a tarantula though lol that will make the wife super happy LOL

Zoodulcis

Oh that’s right. Sorry. And tarantulas are awesome! Be sure to check out my tarantula guide on this website. Maybe it will give you some ideas and create more serenity for your wife. Of course, you may be wanting to get a gimongous insect just to weird her out and get her to entertain you even more!

chubby.unicorn
      Participant

She’s so cute, chameleons always remind me of Pascal (from Rapunzel) XD

John Banuelos
        Participant

Thank you but she’s a lot bigger now and is currently shedding again.

Viewing 6 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});