Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Cricket Contest

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Alphamare13
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

Mushu is approximately 7 months old now and is a rather social guy! He’s very friendly and “rarely” puffs up his beard….unless, he notices his reflection, lol! (Hence, this picture 😂)….
      and then he decided to just keep posing as my daughter continued to snap pictures)
      #mushuthemodel

Zoodulcis

Who dat? Who dat? Oh Mushu, you silly boy. Still, he is such a handsome lad. Good to see you again.

Did he do much brumation this winter? I am curious, since different keepers are having very different experiences with that for their beardies all over the country. Always nice to get feedback by geographic area at this time of the year.

Alphamare13
        Participant

No, I guess not because I was reading through some online forums on brumation and whether or not males go into it….I must have misunderstood what I read earlier because I “thought” it was only a female thing; but what I’ve read lately is that it’s more like a hibernation state?….so if that’s the case; then no brumation for Mushu, lol. He’s up and looking for food on a regular basis. However, I do live in Florida and we don’t have much of a winter at all! Our cold weather only last a few months and it never stays cold the whole time; temps fluctuate between “Floridian” cold and fall weather so I would imagine that has alit to do with it. 😀

Zoodulcis

Yep its a beardie thing regardless of gender. Living in Florida means your house seldom gets cold enough to trigger this response. Thanks for letting us know that he is a 12-months-of-the-year active kinda guy. Does his appetite fall-off a bit in winter, or is he full bore in that regard as well?

Alphamare13
        Participant

Hey Zoodulcis, so maybe I spoke too soon on the brumation thing; idk, you tell me….
        So approx 5 days ago he was only pooping very little once a day, so I only feed him crickets once that day with a salad. He ate fine but by that afternoon he had crawled under his log and never came back out. The next day, same thing but I had to coax him out to eat then he went right back under, no basking for digestion even… so I didn’t feed him and he stayed there all day and night and all day the next day. Then late yesterday morning he came out running all over his tank in search of food, lol. So I feed him crickets and a fresh salad, he stayed out until about 4:00 then went back under his log and still isn’t out this morning?…. so idk in guessing/hoping it’s brumation and not that he’s sick. Tell me your opinion please and what you would do if it’s not brumation. Thanks so much!

Zoodulcis

As so many people hate to hear from scientists, the answer is, it all depends.

What part of the country do you live in. I ask because daylength matters.

What is your ambient room temperature? What is your pet’s artificial daylength as provided by you?

What is his age at this date? That is important because it can affect how much protein he craves? I’m thinking he is about 9 months, but I would like you to confirm.

When you respond to those questions, I will get back to you within 24 hours, generally less. At this point, I think there is cause for careful observation, but not cause for alarm where sickness is concerned. Bear in mind, I am a zoologist and not a vet, so I will advise and guide you as best I can.

Viewing 3 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});