Topics Forums Everything Else Cricket Contest

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Surnrner
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

This Cutie is Carl the Chinese Cave Gecko. My understanding yet slightly resentful husband had taken me to get crickets for my 6 cresteds and 2 leopards when we seen this awesome little guy. My husband actually picked him out and insisted I get him, which is soooo not like my typically understanding yet somewhat fussy husband when it comes to animals. For the first time in our going on 15 years of marriage, it was HIS idea to get an animal. So Carl holds an extra extra special place in my heart. He’s such a cute little guy, and the way he uses his little fingers to hold on is just the most endearing thing ever. My children absolutely adore him and my autistic toddler insists on calling him Dragon Carl. Winning the cricket contest would be really great and help feed all my little critters!

Zoodulcis

Congratulations to your husband for finally getting with the program! It would be funny if you have now succeeded in creating a monster who wants even more animals in the future. They can be a little bit addicting. The right pets are especially good for children with autism as well, so it sounds like a win-win for all. Where did you get him?

Surnrner
        Participant

I definitely agree pets are great for children! My 13 year old has asthma so geckos are our animals. My husband purchased Carl at Petco while we were getting crickets. It was the week before Christmas and I didn’t want to chance their food getting delayed or lost in the mail.

Zoodulcis

I know how those spontaneous purchases can go! I once went into a pet store to buy dog food and came out with a blue point Siamese kitten.

Nevertheless, if you have not thoroughly researched where this gecko came from originally (as in domestically bred vs. wild-caught), I would take the time to provide a fecal sample to your vet for analysis. If domestically bred, then no worries, but if there is even a tiny chance he was wild-caught, there is a strong possibility of a significant parasite load. I would hate for undetected and preventable illness to happen Carl. I say this with all due respect to Petco, as a former Petco employee. We only sold feed and equipment at the stores I worked at, and no animals, but I know that today’s big box stores sometimes make compromises. Even zoos make compromises (worked for the San Diego zoo for many years), so I’m not casting aspersions, BUT, as a former industry insider, I know that’s what I would do for Carl, just to be on the safe side.

Hoping that you will keep up posted on Carl’s life and times!

Surnrner
        Participant

I was assured by the employee who has Carl’s litter mate that he was captive bred from a breeder that also supplies them their crested geckos. I live in a small town and unfortunately none of our vets specialize in small animals or reptiles. Nothing but dairy farms, cattle farms and chicken farms around here, so the only vets I’ve found that cater to more than cats and dogs, are for cattle like goats, horses, chickens, cows and occasionally birds. I had a bonded pair of sugar gliders years ago when I came across this issue. The closest reptile/exotic vet open to the public near me is a 3 hour drive. I really appreciate your concern though, and would love to take in a sample to be on the safe side, but unfortunately there’s not one I could reasonably go to. So far he’s doing great and his poops aren’t runny or extra smelly or anything odd, he’s eating great, enjoys being handled and is overall a pleasure to have.

Zoodulcis

Sounds like you’re in the clear with Carl. Even one person at a big box store who can vouch for parentage is good enough.

I talk to hundreds of people yearly about their pets and I seldom know where they live. Some are in the city, some in the country.

Not having a reptile vet is a rural thing, and believe me, it can be the pits. Even in my rural area of Colorado, if you get a sick pig worth $3,000, instead of treating it, most vets tell you to slaughter it and start over. It’s after all, just a pig. The time and effort required to ensure an animal’s health that is not a dog, cat, or horse in a rural area is certainly a consideration.

Sounds like you did due diligence with selecting Carl and in many places that is the best one can hope for. I look forward to seeing him grow even more handsome.

L

Viewing 3 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});