Topics Forums Lizards Cricket Contest – January 2020 Winner!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Saer
      Participant
      Cricket Contest – January 2020 Winner!

New year, new skin! This is Randall (yes, like the Monster’s Inc character), he’s a southern alligator lizard and I got him about a month ago from someone who couldn’t keep him anymore (who’s had him for about 4 years). He came in a dry 10G with just some gravel/sand and a hide and bowl, so I’ve moved him to a 20G with a forest setup and proper light now! He enjoys hanging out on his temple hide in the evenings and today he started shedding! He’s got half his shed off in the picture and you can really see the difference with how bright he is now! He’s a lil feisty (had never been handled before) and had to learn that worms are food too, but he’s doing great now, exploring his new enclosure and finding all the places to hide in it!

Attachments:

Zoodulcis

I know what you mean about feisty. I once walked into my 5th-grade classroom (as a fifth-grader myself) with an alligator lizard firmly attached to the ball of my hand. Hanging downward, it made a pretty impressive sight. Teeth clenched, I knew he was in no danger of dropping onto the floor. The other students were delighted, my 5th-grade teacher, much less so.

How many crickets per day does he go through?

Saer
      Participant

Haha! He mostly get’s all huffy whenever I change his water and stuff, he’s only actually tried to nip me once or twice.
      He goes through about 10 crickets every three to four days, with an added hornworm, superworm or waxworm occasionally as a treat (it took him about a week of occasionally offering one to figure out that worms are food since he’s never had any before I got him, I was very proud of him when he munched on his first hornworm!)

Zoodulcis

I can see why a year’s worth of crickets would be a good thing. Do you gut load all of his crickets?

Saer
      Participant

Yeah, he’s a good eater haha! Yep, they get gut loaded and dusted! And even though he likes to get huffy in general, he still lets you hand (well, tweezers) feed him a couple crickets before he sets off to hunt the rest.

Zoodulcis

Sounds like he is getting really good care. Hand feeding and all!

Saer
      Participant

Yeah, I do my best! I love him a lot even though I haven’t had him for long yet

Zoodulcis

Do you think you will try to find a female friend for him?

Saer
      Participant

No, no plans on breeding him, I haven’t seen any for sale anywhere either to be honest so I wouldn’t even know where to get another haha

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Saer.

Zoodulcis

I’m not sure either, although there are some reptile rescue sites that occasionally post animals for adoption. These guys are pretty solitary, and I am sure that he is just fine as a bachelor.

Say, do you ever feed him pinkies?

Saer
      Participant

Yeah, I think he’s enjoying not having to share his tank with anyone! I haven’t tried offering him pinkies, the hoppers I have for my boa would be too big for him… I’m not even sure he’d figure out he can eat em seeing how long it took him to figure out worms before >_>

Zoodulcis

Yeah, hoppers would be too big for him. What sort of boa do you have?

Saer
      Participant

I’ve got a lil (so far haha, I already have her big enclosure planned once she outgrows her current) red tail boa named Jasper who’s a real sweet heart.

Zoodulcis

Jasper for a girl, cute. How is she?

Saer
      Participant

Yeah, cuz she looks a bit like the gemstone! She’s doing great, eating really well and very curious and attentive. She loves to try and climb onto my glasses given the chance haha

Zoodulcis

I assume that she likes to crawl into and out of your sleeves as well. I love it when they do that, it is so relaxing for me. Not sure how they feel about it, but they seem to enjoy it just as much. Does Jasper do that?

Saer
        Participant

Jasper isn’t really interested in sleeves so far, but she’s got a log in her enclosure that she loves a lot since it has lots of places to hide in and under!

Also ty John I’ve sent you one too.

John D Mason
      Participant

sent you a credit plz return. I had a sudan skink once and they are almost like a snake with small feet. Hope healthy and good luck with the health of Randall

John D Mason
      Participant

forgot to tell you Mine is Buddy changing channels

Saer
      Participant

He’s been out and about more now and I managed to get a nice photo of him all stretched out today, looking grumpy as always and showing off just how long he is and his lil tail pimple he has from a stuck shed that I finally managed to get off. He’s still working on getting the last bits of his shed off, been making sure to keep his humidity proper. He’s also got a stuck shed at the very tip of the nose but there’s no way I could help with that. I think it’s stuck bc he used to be in a dry desert setup tank when he was with his previous owner.

Zoodulcis

He definitely has that grinch face happening. How long do you suppose he is from nose to tail tip?

CritterDepot
      Keymaster

Saer – with a whopping 49 Critter Golds, you are the official winner for the month of January 2020! Be on the lookout for an email that contains your coupon code for free feeders. This coupon code can be used 12 times.

Hope Randall enjoys them!

Viewing 20 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});