Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Cricket Contest

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 3 Favorite

rcanary
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

This is Maynard. We just got him a week ago and we love him! He loves crickets and won’t eat anything else unless I hand feed it to him. He also loves to bask while “standing” like this!

CritterDepot
      Keymaster

That’s a nice piece of furniture.  Can he hide in it as well?  Love the name.  Any chance it was inspired from the band Tool? 

rcanary
      Participant

Hi! Thanks! He can currently hide in it as he is so little but he won’t be able to hide in it when he gets big. No he is not banned after the band, I let my 4 year old name him, he heard the name somewhere and has become obsessed with it.
      We are new to the Beardie family, so we are learning as we go (Google has been my friend this week). So any advice would be great!

Zoodulcis

He is a cutey and I too love the furniture.  It looks like you have him on reptile carpet.  Are you able to remove it to sterilize it from time to time?

rcanary
        Participant

Yes I can easily pull up the reptile carpet and wash with soap and hot water. Very easy to do if you have a sprayer on your sink!

Zoodulcis

So you are happy with it’s performance so far?  Have you ever tried sterilizing it?  If so, what did you use?

rcanary
          Participant

I haven’t tried to sterilize it yet. We just got it and him on the 17th. But my plan was to boil water and then let it sit in that boiled water for 5-10 minutes and then remove it to dry/cool down.

Zoodulcis

Depending on your elevation, that length of time may not quite enough. If you have a dishwasher, that is the way to go once per month. If not, then I think it would be prudent to spray the top and underneath sides with a solution of 10% bleach. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then do your thing with the boiling water. It’s really not all that much more trouble and will prevent a build-up of any sort of bacteria that is heat resistant (and bacteria vary widely in this regard). Bleach kills everything, so there ya go. Whatever you choose to do, if the carpet starts to deteriorate, we would sure love to know what you are observing. Other readers may find that info really helpful.

rcanary
          Participant

Thanks for the info! New to this bearded dragon owner so thank you for the advice on how to keep his home safe!

Zoodulcis

It is my pleasure, truly. And if you have other questions, don’t hesitate to post them, as the answers can be very informative for other readers.

Viewing 3 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});