Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Cricket Contest

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 4 Favorite

Atkins2003
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

This is Medusa. We got her in January this year when she was just itty bitty. She is the first bearded dragon we’ve owned. She loves being out and she loves relaxing on my couch pillows. She will lay on the pillows and fall asleep. She is the sweetest. She loves her crickets. She makes us laugh. She tries to get into her water dish to take a bath. She is loved by everyone. Everyone that sees her thinks she is the coolest.

Atkins2003
      Participant

This is her habitat. She loves to lay on her rock like she is sun bathing.

Zoodulcis

What a nice family photo!  She seems very chill.  Do family members get involved with care and feeding?

Atkins2003
      Participant

Yes. Everyday me, my daughter and husband are giving her crickets and lettuce. She gets mealworms occasionally. She also loves strawberries, mango and watermelon. The special thing about Medusa is she will eat her crickets dead or alive. She’s not a picky eater.

Zoodulcis

Medusa sounds like she is what horsemen call ‘an easy keeper’.  Not finicky, and thrive on the dietary choices offered to them.  Do you gut load the crickets, and if so, what do you use?

Atkins2003
        Participant

Yes we do gut load the crickets. We have a 10 gallon tank that we use to put the crickets in. We feed them cornmeal or the high calcium cricket diet food. And give them cotton balls in a lid soaked in water. Every now and then I’ll give them potatoes. They have egg crates. I put vermiculite on the bottom of the tank. I clean the tank often, give them everything fresh.

Zoodulcis

It sounds like you have thought about gut loading your crickets.  In case you ever want something extremely economical but more packed with nutrition than corn meal, refer to any of our cricket eating animal care guides on this site to score an awesome gut-load recipe.  What kind of lettuce do you provide, if you don’t mind me asking?

Atkins2003
        Participant

I’ve given Medusa, collard greens, turnips, bok choy, endive, and I just bought her mustard greens.

Atkins2003
          Participant

Now where giving her mustard greens and turnip greens together.

Zoodulcis

Now that sounds like a lovely mix of greens that don’t have too much oxalic acid.  Mixing them is always the best call, IMHO, because it leads to a balanced diet by default.  Despite this, do you have a sense of which green might be a favorite?

Atkins2003
        Participant

Since shes my first bearded dragon I’ve been doing alot of research on what I can and can’t give her. Going as far as finding out which greens have the most vitamins. Which is why I decided to get the best greens and give them to her at the same time. All the greens I’ve given her she has loved. I haven’t found one that she doesn’t like. Now that she is getting older she doesn’t seem to eat greens as much as she use to.  But we still offer it to her. We leave it in there just in case she wants it.

Zoodulcis

You sound very thoughtful in your feeding routine.  Do you dust her greens with any sort of supplement?

Atkins2003
        Participant

I have to get some.

Zoodulcis

Some of our forum respondents have listed the supplements that they use for their beardies.  I think many of them are available online.  Perhaps that might be helpful in choosing a supplement.

Zoodulcis

The product is a good choice!  No sense in taking a risk of her developing MBD.  That would be a tragedy for this pretty girl and now you don’t have to worry.

Atkins2003
        Participant

I did some research before choosing a multi vitamin. I like to find the best products out there. She’s part of the family so I want to make sure she is well taken care of. We all love her to pieces.

Zoodulcis

May I ask, after the research you did, what made you choose this particular product?

Atkins2003
        Participant

Because I read that it contains beta carotene which is an antioxidant that converts into vitamin A and there is no danger of vitamin A toxicity. Plus I read from other people who uses this product on there bearded dragons how it improves there pets skin ect.

Zoodulcis

Sounds like a good choice.  How much calcium and D3 does it contain?

Zoodulcis

Does Medusa have daily access to natural sun or combo heat lamps?  If not, a cheap supplement with no whiz-bang vitamins or probiotics or any of that expensive stuff  but that does have D3 should be offered to her 3 times per week in order to prevent metabolic bone disease.

Viewing 12 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});