Topics Forums Everything Else Cricket Contest

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts 3 Favorite

LadyShia77
      Participant
      Cricket Contest

This is Sprite. She is my Phidippus Putnami. She loves to climb on her hideaway and pounce on her food. She has the cutest face and one of the best personalities I’ve encountered. Love my Putnami girl.

Zoodulcis

This is the first ever on this site for this species. And boy, is she cute!! How big is she?

LadyShia77
        Participant

Thank you. She is one of my favorite spoods. Her abdomen is a little bigger now than in this pic. My guess would be about an inch long. She’s been hiding out in her hideaway so it’s hard to get another pic at the moment. lol

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by LadyShia77.

LadyShia77
          Participant

Here are more pics. She finally came out of her hideaway. For some reason it posted one pic twice. lol

ABMoore22
          Participant

She is so cute. Are they as fun to watch as they seem. I thought about getting one for my son. He loves insects and arachnids. Has a praying mantis now. What are they like as pets and where do you get her, if you don’t mind telling. My experience with jumpers are just from the wild ones in my yard, but they seem so smart and seem to recognize you if you feed them regularly.

LadyShia77
          Participant

Thank you and they are fun. She’s one of my favorites out of my jumpers. Each one has their own personality and she has always hunted from the top or side of her hideaway. She would wait for a fruit fly or cricket to come close and then pounce. Sometimes even doing little flips as she pounces. Sprite was actually wild caught as a juvenile on my neighbor’s fence. I’ve found Phidippus Putnamis to not be very common in the jumping spider hobby, but Phidippus Audax (bold or daring jumping spiders) and Phidippus Regius (regal jumping spiders) among other species can be found captive bred. Depending on your area, you may be able to search sunny areas and find wild jumpers to catch. If it doesn’t work out you can always let wild caught jumpers go since they would be native to your area. All of my adult audaxes were wild caught and both my girls laid egg sacs so I have several captive born juveniles now lol. Spiders In The Attic on Facebook is where I got my captive bred Regius from if you want a good breeder to get a spood from or find other reputable spood breeders. Handling depends on each spider’s personality and the owner. I never hold mine as accidents can happen, some can be flighty (they can bite but it’s not anything major unless you’re allergic), and I have children and other pets. Jumping spiders, on average, live anywhere from about a year to sometimes over 2 years in captivity. Putnamis are among my favorite jumping spider species if you can find them. They are very lively little spoods. I hope this helps you. Let me know if I missed anything.

ABMoore22
          Participant

That does help, thank you. I have thought about trying out one from outside if I get a small one. I see them in my yard all the time. I support insects that get rid of pests, so I see a lot of mantids and arachnids.

I actually have a little colony of common house spiders in my basement bathroom, which were converting to our personal living area and my grandmother has the upstairs area. We had one female and she had babies. A few chose to stay and not go out the window theyre in front of, so now we got a whole group of females and two males that hang near them for breeding. Cool little group. They know when I stand in front of the sink I’ll run water, so a few see me coming and begin to hang from the ceiling waiting for me and drink the water drops immediately.

Anyway, I think I will try a wild jumper, since we already kind of have a relationship with them. They will eat bugs we feed them sometimes and a few will jump on our hand if we gently coax. I’m not worried about handling much, I don’t mind pets you just watch. Would just be nice to support their growth in my yard as well.

LadyShia77
          Participant

Awe…it’s good you have such a good relationship with the spiders in your house. We have several that we let stay inside as they help with pest control. Even my beyfriend has become more tolerant and he can’t stand spiders lol. The only thing is you run the possibility of getting a gravid (pregnant) female jumper. Females generally have bigger abdomens than males. If you do end up with a gravid female, don’t panic lol. When the babies start emerging from the nest, you can either let them go and/or keep a few. I’m in several groups on Facebook that can help a lot if you having any questions or concerns. Good luck with your spood adventure.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Thank you. I was always that weird kid playing with bugs. Lol. They’ll be there no matter what, might as well make it the best for everyone. I figured if that happened I’d keep one or two and let the rest go in a safe place next to a different window and make sure they have shelter and plenty of food. I’ll cross that bridge if I ever get to it. Lol.
          Appreciate your input.

LadyShia77
          Participant

You’re very welcome and same here. When I was little, I spent a lot of time at my grandpaarents’. My Pappaw liked sitting on the front porch in the evenings and there would be several brown spiders (orb weavers maybe?) that would make webs around the edge of their porch. I would catch the bugs that flew around the porch light and feed “my” spiders lol. I was never discouraged from doing it. I was riased to not be afraid of animals, but to have a healthy understanding and respect. I didn’t even know keeping spiders as pets (other than tarantulas and I had a few of those as a teen lol) was a thing until earlier this year. I started out with a few jumpers, but now I have several more jumpers, some wolf spiders, crab spiders, and few others I’m not sure the species lol. I can’t promise you won’t become addicted to owning more spiders. lol

ABMoore22
          Participant

Haha. That’s what happened to me with my first reptile too. I was raised by my grandparents, which my grandfather was born and raised in the mountains of Tennessee, literally. He was delivered by a midwife in their house about 2 hours from town, so I totally get it. They are a special kind of people.

LadyShia77
          Participant

That, they are. I’m glad you got to emjoy a similar grandpa to mine. I don’t know a whole lot about where my Pappaw was from or his history from before he met my grandma. He definitely didn’t shy away from allowing me to interact and learn about various critters around their house. I honestly think he is/was responsible for a lot of my love for unusual pets lol. Definitely made for some awesome memories and it’s very good to hear of someone enjoying similar ones.

ABMoore22
      Participant

Unrelated, but here’s a pretty lady that moved in recently. I believe she’s an American/Common House Spider. As are most of what we have in the basement.

ABMoore22
        Participant

Pic doesn’t wanna add. Hate when that happens

LadyShia77
          Participant

Yeah, it took me a few times to get the pics to load properly. We have a common house spider in the corner of the doorway of our back door. She’s been doing a really good job keeping the stink bugs in check. lol

ABMoore22
          Participant

It happens sometimes on here. Works eventually.

I personally like these type of spiders. They seem smarter than you think for spiders other than hunters/jumpers. Were in a basement living area, mostly finished/being finished and these guys do a great job keeping up with cave crickets and other Crawlies you don’t want in your room.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Stupid pic still won’t add lol

LadyShia77
          Participant

I’ve been having issues making a topic about my frog so I know how frustrating that is. Hopefully, it will work eventually.

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});