Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Classroom pet- cricket contest

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Courtney Staley
      Participant
      Classroom pet- cricket contest

Got this cutie today! We are out of school until the 15th at minimum, but I am going to take videos of this guy/gal for my students to see. My own children are in love! Hoping to win some grub.

Zoodulcis

Oh, the contest isn’t for grubs 😝. Only crickets.

Har Har, anyway, how old is this little cutey?

Courtney Staley
        Participant

Hahaha good point! I am not really sure. I have heard I can measure to guestimate… Maybe I should. He/she is definitely young. 🙂

Zoodulcis

Yeah that is a good way to guestimate. And in a few weeks you can sex this little reptile person by using a flashlight. Where did you get him/her? I’m guessing that he/she doesn’t have a name until gender is determined, and then the kids will have a naming contest. Is that correct?

Courtney Staley
          Participant

That’s exciting. I’ll measure in a bit. No name yet… My own kiddos are calling it “curious” but we will assess that later. Haha

Zoodulcis

Is this little person a rescue, or did you get ‘it’ from a pet store?

Courtney Staley
          Participant

He is from Petco. Ideally I would have loved a rescue, but it was a specific grant.

Zoodulcis

No worries! I know just what you are talking about. A heads up…since you didn’t get your beardie from a reputable breeder, your little guy/gal can have a parasite load. Icky I know, and something we don’t like to think about when getting a pet from a big box store. But the fact is, that just like Walmart doesn’t produce their own goods, Petco (who I used to work for a thousand years ago) does not raise their own pet offerings. They tend to get them wherever they can, as cheap as they can. Therefore, I highly recommend that you take a fecal sample into your local vet. Not the animal, just a fecal sample. And hey, you can turn it into a science project or biology lesson! If you do need to worm, then you will know. Also, be sure to check out my guide to Bearded Dragon care on this website. You might pick up a tip or two that will be interesting.

Courtney Staley
          Participant

Thanks! Will do. Can I use diatomaceous earth for parasites with beardies? I use it for my dogs, but they aren’t reptiles. Lol

Zoodulcis

Diatomaceous earth is only for external use. I know I wouldn’t use it on a beardie because they are so much closer to the ground. There is a chance of eye inflammation. I’ve used it with chickens with moderate success, but they don’t slither along the ground. Taken internally, it dissolves into its basic mineral components, mostly calcium. For internal parasites, it will do no harm, but it will also do no good. Unfortunately, your best bet is to use a compound prescribed by the vet and applied in the correct dosage. It may not be organic, as in all natural. The good news is, as long as you buy food items from qualified purveyors of goods such as Critter Depot, you will never have to do it again. If you feed wild-caught items, such as sow-bugs, which all kids love and will assume that the beardie will too, you will have to worm yearly. Sow-bugs are the absolute worst for parasites, but all wild-caught items such as crickets and worms, will have some. Another science lesson in the making! As a former professor, I am guilty of trying to find teachable moments everywhere in life, so please forgive me.

Courtney Staley
          Participant

Awesome. Thank you for that. I had read about not feeding wild insects so no worries there! It’s my end goal to be a professor some day. 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});