Topics Forums Bearded Dragons Brumation?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

ABMoore22
      Participant

Hello, I may be taking in a Female Bearded Dragon soon (thanks to winning Jan Cricket Contest I am able to do this!!) and here is what they’ve said about it. I have not seen it yet. Waiting to hear back. “She’s in rough shape. I have a new uvb on her tank. She does eat. Loves collard greens, insects of all sorts, mangos, strawberries. Honestly she loves food. But something is going on with her where she’s loosing weight and her eyes keep shutting.”

I keep thinking that this just sounds like Brumation.. Possibly worms? Ill ask more info when i meet to pick her up. But does this sound like Brumation to you too? Its cold where we live right now. Has been for months. If i cant figure it out, i will take her to vet (if they actually give her up). But i prefer to try and fix any issues myself first, if I can.

Zoodulcis

Greetings AB,

So a new rescue, good for you.

Brumation seems to be a function of day length as well as temperature. So unless they have been keeping this poor thing without artificial light on a 12/12 light and dark regime, she should not be acting in the manner she is, and should be getting more and more alert. Also, the vernal equinox is only a week away, so natural daylength should also be helping. My money is on parasites or disease, maybe malnutrition, but you won’t be able to know for sure until she is in your possession. If you strongly suspect lingering brumation, keep her enclosure just a little extra toasty, and try a 13 hour day length for a week and see how she responds.

ABMoore22
        Participant

Thank you for your response. But they ended up not showing up, so i didnt get her. Unfortunately.
        I hate to see some of these pets online that im pretty sure i can help and people just end up selling them off the new, inexperienced owners. But nothing you can do about it.
        I did acquire a new Rat though. She was free online and people were wanting her for snake food. Which i understand as ive owned snakes, but she is bred for being a pet, not food. And shes very sweet/tame. So, since my son has been wanting a rat, we took her in too. (sounds like i take in a lot, but i rehome sometimes and only take in what i can afford and have space/time for. Believe it or not, i have had to turn people down at times.)

Zoodulcis

Oh my gosh, my best friend of 40 years would just love you! She works for Wee Companions in San Diego as a rat rescue foster mom and adoption coordinator. She has done this for nearly a decade now and has anywhere from 6 to 20 rats in her living room ( all in gender and age appropriate cages, with two dedicated exercise areas and daily time for socialization with people). They have given her so much pleasure and meaning as a retiree. I hear about their escapades every month on scheduled calls. And yes, some of them are snake food rescues. As she likes to say…’Well, snakes gotta eat too!’ But she does love the ones that come her way, and understands the cycle of life without prejudice. So congratulations on your new ratso!

ABMoore22
          Participant

Now, thats a way to live! lol. I always said if i hadnt met my fiance i always planned on living alone my whole life with a house full of animals, and i meant it too! I love literally all living creatures and help them any way i can. I have bipolar disorder and i find that the schedules, care and love my animals require (and return!) really help me with my mental health and keeping it balanced. When i first moved out of my Grandparents house i couldnt take any of my pets with me for the first month, i found it to be one of the most depressed ive ever been. So, i know how much pets can help people, so i return that to them any way i can.

Zoodulcis

I hear ya! She suffers from anxiety and the rats and social interaction that come from working with the very sweet and funny ladies in the organization provide really important structure and relief for her.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Im happy to hear that and undertsand. My only social life is here, church and family haha. But i prefer it that way.

Zoodulcis

Safer that way too!

Viewing 1 reply thread

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});