Topics Forums Frogs – Pixies, Pacmans, & More! baby pacman frog refuses to eat

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts Favorite

Tessa Sundling
      Participant

hello everyone!! I’m having some issues with my pacman frog kitkat. I’ve had him for about a month now and he was eating really well and the he just suddenly stopped. It’s been about a week and he’s still refusing any food that I’ve been trying to give him and he’s starting to look a little thin to me. I know pacman frogs can be fussy eaters and that they can also go a long time without eating but it still worries me a bit. Any suggestions on what i should do??

BM22
      Participant

Ive never owned one of these frogs but some issues that affect other reptiles/amphibians are these: Has the temp or humidity in the tank changed or not what a pac man requires? They’re also nocturnal, so maybe try feeding in the late evening? And are you using a different feeder type? I know impactions can sometimes happen so he may have eaten some of the substrate by accident. I think a vet would be in order if so. But first make sure humidity, temp and feeding time are correct. Good luck!

Zoodulcis

It is true that pacman frogs can be inconsistent eaters. A week is not a big deal, yet. You are, however, correct to be concerned and observant. One critical element that needs to be considered is…when was the last time she pooped? If it was during the last week of fasting, then you can move beyond assuming constipation and begin investigating other causes. If not, or you don’t know, try putting her in a honey bath daily. One tsp honey for 4 cups of water can make a difference. Make sure the water is around 85 degrees temp. Doing this daily until you see some sort of bowel movement can be super helpful, although it is a lot of work. Please post again tomorrow with an update on her condition, so we can continue to help you through this, or get confirmation that this worked, which is good data for other forum members.

Tessa Sundling
        Participant

Kitkat pooped the week before he decided to stop eating. While I’ve been observing him/her, kitkat is very alert and aware of her surroundings. he/she will hop around at night since pacman frogs are nocturnal and because of that I do try to feed my pacman frog in the evening/at night but kitkat is still refusing to eat. I make sure that the substrate is always damp, the humidity is currently at 70% and the tank temperature is normally around 78-80 degrees.

Zoodulcis

Sounds like you are doing all of the right things. Stick with your current routine for another 24 hours before trying the honey bath. He/she should poop sometime in the next day or two if all is well with digestion. No poo by Friday means honey bath. Also, you might want to consider switching food items for a couple of weeks. Substitute less chitinous items such as mealworms for store-bought earthworms (never wild ones).

Tessa Sundling
          Participant

I’ve tried to feed bits of earthworms (store bought) but he refuses to eat them. I will continue to observe and see if my frog poops, if he doesn’t, I’ll try the honey bath.

BM22
          Participant

I didnt even know about honey baths, so thats cool to learn. Sounds like youre a great owner though. I have American Green Tree Frogs ( i know, not near the same as a pac man lol) but one of mine prefers to eat in a little tub out of the enclosure. So maybe try that some time too.

Tessa Sundling
          Participant

I have tried that. I would put a small container of feed in his enclosure at night and my pacman frog would eat from it a majority of the time. Very rarely did he let me tong feed him though.

Zoodulcis

Any luck yet with your frog eating and or pooping?

Tessa Sundling
          Participant

Yes, my frog finally ate on his own last night

Zoodulcis

Oh nice, now you’re home free. Congratulations to you and your frog.

Zoodulcis

Just a quick check. Is the frog still eating well?

Tessa Sundling
          Participant

Yes he is 🙂

Zoodulcis

Oh nice, so it seems the crisis is permanently averted.

Tessa Sundling
          Participant

Hahaha I would hope so

Zoodulcis

Can I ask what foods finally attempted his fancy?

BM22
          Participant

Ive been checking in on this and im so happy to hear that it ate. I gave a “Yes!” and its not even my frog. haha

Viewing 2 reply threads

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});