Topics Forums Everything Else Cricket Contest Reply To: Cricket Contest

Kimberly Maloney
Participant

Winter is always the hardest time. It seems like that is when toads end up getting too high of a parasite load. They always have parasites living in them, but typically they stay at a healthy level. I’ve found that the best way to keep them from getting sick/ dying from parasites (typically nematodes/pinworms), is to a. Keep them on paper towels. Toads love to burrow, problem is they also poo in their burrows…which releases the parasites natural to their system..then you drop crickets or whatever in, and they end up in the dirt, toads eat 5hem…and you have a sick toad. B. Change the water every other day…and if you don’t have well water, get the blue liquid water conditioner drops. Also, make sure the water is deep enough for them to sit and soak in…they love to soak, and you probably know 5his,but they drink through a “wet spot” on their lower stomach not their mouth. C. Try to vary their food, crickets, mealworms, dubias, etc. Dust them with calcium with D3 every other feeding…and also get a multivitamin duster like reptivite to dust their food with one a week. Also, don’t overfeed…my toad is fatter than she probably should be, bc I wasnfeeding her when I fed my geckos…once or twice a week or 6 to 8 bugs is fine…feed more if little, less if fat. Lol Also, don’t feed inaects/worms from outside…they’re more likely to carry parasites. D. This is important…try to limit holding the toad. It causes so much stress, and stress leads to parasite loads already balanced in them, getting out of control. When you do hold them, do so with clan hands or gloves…bc their skin is so delicate that if you have a chemical or something on your hand and don’t know, it could kill them.

I didn’t know what I was getting into with toads. Sadly at first I Cohabbed a couple, which is a big no no that I didn’t know. One got sick, they all got sick. Squish survived. I felt terrible. Amphibian populations are going down hill quickly, so I no longer keep toads (besides squishy)…plus they are hard to keep alive. They are so sensitive, plus used to brumation during the cold months…so it’s a shock to their little world. If your toad starts being super lethargic, stops eating, and begins losing weight, you will need to take a fecal sample to an exotics vet so they can see if parasites are the cause…they usually are. They will prescribe medicine that you will have to give them through a syringe (not fun!)…but it should save them. I tell you this bc it’s common. Every winter since I’ve had toads, at least one has gotten sick from the parasites getting out of balance in their system. So be prepared. Following the steps I gave may help out, but definitely doesn’t guarantee them not getting ill.
Oh, one more thing…a heat lamp is nice…if you don’t have one, make sure 5hey are jn a room that’s at 71 or 72 degrees…

Sorry this is messy and spelled bad. I’m typing on my phone and in a hurry…
Let me know if you have questions…

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});