Topics Forums Bearded Dragons My bearded dragon Horny

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts 4 Favorite
      Leslie
      Participant
      My bearded dragon Horny

Here is my bearded dragon Horny. I just wanted to show how big he has gotten since last month. He sure loves his fruits and veggies as long as they are green. He is slowly starting to eat other colored foods but he is stubborn. He sure loves his crickets also. He is about 6 months old now. I like putting his food in my hand while holding him so he can catch it. Does Horny look healthy?

Zoodulcis

His posture indicates vigor, and his eyes are bright and alert. His growth is quite good. Yeah, I would say he looks healthy from what I ccan see in one photo.

Leslie
        Participant

People at the petstore said that if he is only 6 months old he is overweight. I just let him eat til he stops. I shouldn’t be doing that? He will eat all the crickets and the greens eat will have gone by his bedtime. I fill that bowl up with greens and it is all gone within 2 hours as I give him greens 2 hours before he goes to bed. Is this to much food? I always thought if he is hungry let him eat. Am I wrong?

ABMoore22
          Participant

Ive learned that most pet store employee’s are not always the most educated in animals care or information, as you think you’d be. I feed mine the same way and theyre all fine. He looks a little chubby, but i definitely wouldnt say overweight. Let the little guy eat! 🙂

Zoodulcis

At this age, I think he should be allowed to eat at will. However, in a couple of months I would reduce his intake. Skipping a day now and then will help him to control his weight. A fat lizard is cute, but it shortens their life span by a year or two, so the course of action you decide is a very personal decision.

Leslie
          Participant

I said when he gets to 10 months old I will start feeding him less. I don’t see the harm of letting him eat as much as he wants for right now. In a few months he will only mostly eat fruits and veggies. Right now he is going crazy trying to find crickets to eat, but ran out the other day and the others I ordered a week ago never got here yet. So it’s only greens for him til hopefully tomorrow. I found out he does love blueberries. He goes crazy for them. I also need to get him a bigger fake vine. The one he has now keeps bending every time he gets on it.

Zoodulcis

They grow up so quickly. That’s funny about him outgrowing his vine.

Leslie
          Participant

I’m looking to get a hood for the lizard tank. Could you tell me if this one will work? I’m practically broke right now.

Leslie
          Participant

Also details about it.

Zoodulcis

This looks like it would work fine. However, if it goes across the entire top of the tank, it can make providing a temperature gradient challenging. So if Horny has decided he wants to be extra toasty, that’s easy, he can climb on top of something to get close to the heat source. But if he decides he wants to be a bit cooler, that’s when it can get challenging, especially in the summer months when the ambient temperature in the house is higher anyway. Just something to think about.

You’ve probably already thought of this, but if you can score one of these on Craigslist or a Facebook group, you might be able save a few bucks on a used one.

Leslie
          Participant

It would go half way across the top. Also which crickets does this site sell?
          Thanks

Zoodulcis

Oh then I think that hood would be just fine. To find out what sort of crickets you might like to purchase, please go to the main Critter Depot page and cruise through the offerings.

Leslie
          Participant

I just wanted to know if it was the banded crickets or the original brown crickets? Some sites I’ve ordered from says one thing but sends the other.

Leslie
          Participant

Any idea why Horny is doing this? He just started doing it a few days ago. It seems like it started after we got a snowstorm. He seems to still be eating like normal. Can anyone help me?

Zoodulcis

He may be beginning brumation. Short days and cold weather events will trigger that. Quite normal. Expect him to be less active and eat less than in the fall. In spring, things will change. Depending on where you live, it could be as early as March 1st that you notice a change in his energy level.

Leslie
          Participant

His mouth will stay cracked open like that when getting ready to brumate?

ABMoore22
          Participant

Do his nostrils and eyes seem clear? Any drainage or dried shed near nostrils?

Zoodulcis

No, if he is holding his mouth open for long periods he is having trouble breathing. AB’s inquiry about signs of mucus is a good place to start trying to help diagnose potential illness.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Yeah, I was thinking upper respiratory infection or possibly a build up of shed in the nostril. Whats the humidity in his tank and is there a fan or draft nearby?

Leslie
          Participant

No fan. The humidity is around 35. No drainage or discharge or mucus. His nostrils are clear and I hear no popping or cracking. He does have a little discoloration at the very tip of his mouth. Here is a picture of it. If you can see it.

Zoodulcis

He doesn’t seem to be in distress and in this picture his mouth is closed. I would wait another day to see if he improves on his own. If his gaping seems worse, it may be time to take him to the vet. Not what you wanted to hear at this time of the year, I bet.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I saw one Gecko do this once (though much worse) with mouth rot. But I’m not saying thats what this is, just see if it looks normal inside her mouth, like not dark/black or bloody, ive never had to deal with that personally so I know less about what causes it.

Leslie
          Participant

I’ve had Horny to 2 vets already. It cost me $235. They both said it was “normal” but I know it’s not which is why I took him to the second vet to get a second opinion. Also said it was “normal” no other vet for a few hours away. Like I said it i know it is not normal. The vets around here are stupid

ABMoore22
          Participant

Humidity is good then. Do you use calcium powder?

Leslie
          Participant

I use calcium powder 2-3 times a week. I put it on his crickets and a little on his veggies.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Ok. Does his mouth look dark or blackish in the inside or near like the lip area? That could be a sign of mouth rot if so. They will occasionally keep their mouth open due to it hurting for that as well. But I have not had to deal with it personally, so I do not know a whole lot about it. Just some of the signs.

Leslie
          Participant

The only part of his mouth that is black if the very front of his mouth. It’s in the picture above. That is starting to go away now though. The inside of his mouth is clean and clear.
          When he chases crickets he sometimes hit his mouth off the cage. Could he injured himself doing this?

Zoodulcis

He could indeed be injuring the part of his mouth that hits the glass. Just in case this is true, he will keep reinjuring it. Try feeding him in a separate area, like a large Tupperware bin. If after a week, all of the black is gone, that may be what you will need to do in the future. Another option if he is smashing his face, is to place light screening around the inside of the enclosure that goes from substrate level up to 4 inches high. This is a visual cue for him that he is about to connect with a solid surface and to hold back a little. Many snakes and lizards, not having evolved with glass surfaces, face these issues.

Leslie
          Participant

Horny is still eating like a beast. He ate 3 dozen large crickets and a big bowl of greens yesterday. He is moving around more now too. Maybe it’s just an injury.

Leslie
          Participant

Now when I checked on Horny he has a lot of stress marks on his belly. He also appears to be a little darker than normal. He is still eating. He appears to have gotten the stress marks after I removed the coil uv bulb and just started using the tube light.any ideas? Like I’ve said I’ve already had him to 2 vets and they said everything was normal. The only other vets is like 4 hours away and I’d hate to take him cause they’ll probably say it’s normal also.

Leslie
          Participant

So I took him out of his tank and held him for about 20 minutes and he went back to normal colors with no stress marks on his belly. 5 minutes after I put him back in his tank he has gotten dark again with the stress marks reappearing. Does this mean something is wrong with his cage?

ABMoore22
          Participant

That’s odd. It does seem like its something to do with the cage. Normally Id ask what has changed in it normally, but you already said its just the bulb. Maybe the new one is brighter or gives off more uvb or visible light. New bulbs are usually very strong for the first week or so and I’ve heard to move them a little farther out at first. Im pretty sure you said you keep track of your humidity and temp, so is all normal there as well?

Leslie
          Participant

Everything is normal now. Humidity and temperature. His cage was only staying at 85 degrees. Now it is 104 degreees and he has had any stress marks and he hadn’t turned dark. The only thing now is sometimes his mouth will close completely and other times it won’t. My nephew was holding him earlier and noticed like a little cut or crack on the bottom of his mouth like in the lip area. Could this be causing his mouth to stay cracked open a little?

Zoodulcis

That is very strange indeed. It happens so quickly that it makes me wonder about a sensitivity to the substrate. What do you have him on?

Leslie
          Participant

He is on non adhesive shelf paper. He seemed fine prior to using this. Before using this I was using crush walnut shells which he seemed to like a lot. Never any problems when using this then I switched to the non adhesive shelf paper and the problems started.

ABMoore22
          Participant

He could have just liked that and the change is stressing him. Or he liked to dig. Maybe try coconut fiber then? Its the safest substrate I know of. Digestible, soft and good for digging. If you do get it, just let it dry out 100% so it doesnt super raise humidity. Cheap on amazon too. Just dont get coco husks, that’s something different. The only things I can think of given what we know is the light or substrate. Whichever changed nearest the time you noticed him stressed. Sometimes ive seen their footing slip on shelf liner and some dont like that.

Zoodulcis

Shelf paper is often permeated with pesticides. The idea is to repel insects from glasses and dishes. My money is on the shelf paper as the culprit.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Ah, I did not know that! That makes complete sense then. Its probably irritating his skin and possibly contaminating any food that touches it. I’m glad I hadn’t used that. I prefer natural stuff or rock/leaf looking wallpaper. Wallpaper doesnt have anything like that in it, right? You wouldn’t think so since its for walls.

Zoodulcis

Wallpaper does not have those chemicals. However, there are toxic compounds aplenty, from glues to dyes. Best not to cut corners and just buy the substrates recommended by experts, or do the research to create your own (see the formula for inexpensive ‘orchid’ mix in a care guide on the Critter Fam main site.)

ABMoore22
          Participant

I normally use it for crafts instead of pets. But I was thinking of using it as a liner in the bottom of the next cage I plan to build for the Chameleon, since they dont really use the bottoms, and just keep my plants in pots so I can swap them in and out and add holes for drainage with a removable tub underneath. But I wasnt 100% on it as I prefer to make things look like a real environment. Now im less sure of the idea! lol. If I can find a similar picture to my plan ill add it.

Attachments:
          Leslie
          Participant

The stupid vet is the one that told me to switch him over to non adhesive shelf paper. She said it’s better for him since he can’t swallow any of it. Horny did like to dig in the crushed walnut shells. I also put him in a bigger tank maybe like 3 weeks ago. If it was him getting stressed cause of the move wouldn’t it have happened before now?

ABMoore22
          Participant

Obviously she was only aware of the impaction aspect of substrate. But yeah, he would have shown signs of stress pretty quickly if it was the size of tank. Id try coconut fiber since hes having issues with the liner and the shells are not as safe for preventing impaction. Its also great for digging. I pretty much use it for every reptile (and hermit crabs) and so far they all seem to like it and ive never had an issue. Or you could just use tile or flat rocks like slate? They make square slate coasters the are great for lining the bottom of a tank.

Zoodulcis

I concur with AB completely. Walnut shells are also a bit sharp. Orchid mix, coconut fiber or aspen are all good choices. No pine or cedar, ever.

Leslie
          Participant

I’ll try the coconut fiber from Amazon. I haven’t been getting my packages from there though so I might just buy it from the store. I’ve noticed today that he is closing his mouth more and it does look like he has a little scab near the lip area. Still eating like a beast though and seems to be moving around a bit more. Still a little sluggish though. When he is walking or running it seems to be normal without him dragging any parts of him. I put a little extra heat on him using a ceramic heat emitter in case it was a respiratory infection starting. He seems to like the extra heat and it stays about 105 degrees now. Will it hurt to keep the ceramic heat emitter on all day? Also, any idea why he is getting real dark orange lines in his beard?

Zoodulcis

As long as he seems to be enjoying the heat, I would leave it on for now. If he is indeed reacting to the paper, the orange lines may be a sign of that.

Zoodulcis

I refreshed my memory on this orange beard thing. It may not be a response to the substrate. It may be a response to the increased heat, in a good way. If so, it should not be present first thing in the morning and appear more vibrant as the day progresses. Observe him over the next couple of days to see if that is so.

Leslie
          Participant

Poor little guy. He was moving around and running around earlier today, now he is just staying in one spot. He did just start shedding around his mouth, maybe that’s why he is not moving much? Thanks for the info on the orange lines on his beard. The lines got really orange since I started using the CHE. I will check him in the morning to see if they are still visible.

Zoodulcis

How does he seem this morning?

Leslie
          Participant

He seems normal today. This is what I’ve found out after watching him for a bit. He was eating fine all day today and moving around like normal when he is eating. As soon as he gets done eating he will go back to a cool corner of the cage and just stay there til it’s time to eat again. At this time he moves all around running and climbing, but again when he is done eating it’s right back to the cool corner where he stays. He even sleeps there most nights. As for his mouth being slightly cracked open, it also seems to only be when he is on the cool side of his cage. If he is on the hotter side it seems to be closed as normal. Also for the orange streaks in his beard, they were barely visible when he woke up and began appearing darker as the day went on. It is only little orange lines but I haven’t noticed them before. I also put a hide box on the cooler end for him where he always goes after he is done eating, but he did not like it and I had to take it out.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Normally staying on the cool side would make me think the warm side is too hot. Most, if not all reptiles, use heat and basking to digest food. So normally you’d see one basking or sitting some place warm after eating. At least that is in my understanding. As for the mouth open on the cool side, I have never seen that before.

Leslie
          Participant

He is a strange little guy indeed. Maybe I should keep his big 150 watt heat bulb off for a little bit and just leave the smaller one on to see what happens? I was thinking maybe it’s the way he brumates? I don’t know cause I have never had a lizard brumate before. As for his mouth it has me stumped as I have no idea why it only seems to happen on the cool side. Thanks for the help so far.

Leslie
          Participant

So I turned the bigger heat light off earlier like I said I was gonna do and after a few minutes of the heat light being off he went straight for his log which is on the hotter side of the tank. I. Ever thought of it being to hot since the temperature is usually 104. Now he is sleeping on his log which he hasn’t done in about a week. I just wanted to give this little update on him.

Zoodulcis

Seems like AB was onto something. Apparently the hot side was just a little too hot. Good for you for persisting in finding a solution.

Leslie
          Participant

I honestly thought he would like it being a little hotter since he seems to like the ceramic heat emitter. It doesn’t really give off much heat so it is in the middle of the cage. I must say he is acting like himself more now. He is running and jumping on his log and goes crazy when his greens get put in the cage. He started trying to get back on his vine that he is to heavy for and he looks sad cause he was always on it when he was little. I need to get him a bigger vine.

Zoodulcis

That is very good news indeed, and interesting information that may well be of use to other forum readers.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I’m really happy to hear that he’s more comfortable. Has his mouth stayed closed more often now? He may have been doing that due to being hot. Normally its wide open if so, but maybe he was just a little too hot for him.

Leslie
          Participant

His mouth stays closed more now but it still has a tiny crack in it. I was at 2 pet stores today and the ones they have are doing the same thing, but the smaller ones aren’t. I asked them about it and they said they all seem to do that as they get bigger. Or at least the bigger ones they have do. Does this sound right? 2 pet stores and their larger bearded dragons are doing the same thing as Horny and both places say it’s normal?

ABMoore22
          Participant

This is going to sound mean, but I honestly dont put much weight into anything pet store employees say anymore. There are a few good ones occasionally, but 9/10 times theyve given me horrible advice/info that I know 100% is wrong. They once tried to sell me a 10 gallon for a leopard gecko with a 150 watt heat lamp, no hides…

I do still love going to pet stores for other stuff, and they are usually very nice people, though! But if it is something beardies commonly do and people see often, I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless he shows other signs of breathing issues like congestion, popping, mucus, sneezing, etc. If I were you id check out other recent posts on here from beardie owners and ask if theirs does that same.

Leslie
          Participant

Not mean. I was just there to look at their fish and other animals. I don’t really listen to them either but wanted to see what they said. I basically quit listening to them when they told me to only feed Horny 4-6 small crickets a day. I just laughed and told them I will feed him as many as he wants til he quits eating. Then they started beeping me out. If he wants food he is going to get fed. How can anyone not feed their pet if it’s hungry? To me that is like not letting yur kid eat even though you know it’s hungry. I just couldn’t do it.

It seems like no one else is on this site. They only come to enter the free crickets for a year contest. I personally like this site more than others. They should make it you can only win the contest if you are active. That’s why I wish you win soon. You are at least active and give good advice.

Zoodulcis

Happy New Year!! You will be pleased to know that AB won last month. So being active does pay eventually. You are right to ignore the pet store people’s advice for Horny at this age. When he is older, you may need to cut back on his food a little. Just the protein and fat based items such as crickets and roaches. He will be able to safely consume as many leafy greens and veggies his little heart desires. That way you won’t feel like you are depriving him of food.

ABMoore22
          Participant

I do agree. This site is great. And honestly I havent found another with someone as knowledgeable, helpful and nice as Zoo on it. I find it a little rude that some people do the contest and dont even reply. I mean, winning honestly saved a pretty good amount of money when you have multiple pets. Thats why I always vote for people who communicate and/or have multiple pets. But yes, I was lucky enough to win after a few months of tries lol. Its great, I hope you do soon as well.

Post another for January and I will give as many votes to you as I can. Usually about 5, i think is what i can do. If you have any social media, post there for votes. I dont have one, but do have a few siblings, haha.

Zoodulcis

Thanks gals!! That feedback is very much appreciated. It is truly my pleasure to help pet owners and their animal companions thrive. It makes the world a better place, IMHO.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Of course! This is a great site with good people and a lot of helpful info to learn from.

Leslie
          Participant

My favorite site to visit and post on so far. Actually this is the only site I’m active on. I’ve made accounts at other sites but never bothered going back to them.

Congrats AB for winning the contest. With all the animals you have I’m sure it will help. With the way things are right now anything helps.

Oh Hornys mouth seems to be staying closed for now. I kept it a little warmer than normal is his tank in case it was wet underneath to dry it out faster. I don’t know if he injured his mouth or not, but I’m glad it is getting better. Right now he is laying on his log with his mouth closed and his legs just dangling off the sides. He looks very relaxed.

Zoodulcis

He sounds like a picture of renewed health and happiness. That’s a relief.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps if you have a bunch of Facebook friends, you could enlist their help in winning this month’s cricket contest. You will need to submit another photo, however.

Leslie
          Participant

I have social media accounts but don’t really use them much. I’m not really a social media kind of guy. I may sign on to them once a week if that,and whatever friends I did have on them probably unfriended me by now. I like Facebook but it just seems to cause lots of problems.

Zoodulcis

Yeah, I know what you mean. But it has worked for others in past, helping them to win. Just thought I would pass it along.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Winning does help, thank you! I dont use social media, at all. Pretty much for the same reasons. I just asked friends and family to vote for me. I can get ya at least 5 votes though, maybe a few more, if you post to the contest though.

Leslie
          Participant

I did post to the contest? Or at least I thought I did. Did I put it in the wrong section? I seem to do that a lot.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Oh, I’ll check again. The title has to say “cricket contest” though.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Yeah, the last one you posted that says “cricket contest” was 2 months ago. Your others are titled other things. Post whatever picture you want then title it “cricket contest”. Ill vote as many as i can.

Zoodulcis

The Critter gold feature of this site is down right now. Technical support is in the process of solving the problem. We hope that it will be up soon and everyone will be able to see their gold count. Thanks for ya all’s patience.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Thank you, I hadnt even noticed that. lol. But when it is working again, you cant win the cricket contest, regardless of gold you have, unless its titled “cricket contest”, correct?

Zoodulcis

Technically yes. But if someone has posted a nice picture of their pet, and a few words of description, we generally assume that they have entered the contest. Someone asking for pet advice is assumed not to have entered, but are on the forum seeking help.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Ok, thank you. So this post here, could win if it gets enough votes, right? It didnt start asking for advise, just ended up asking on comments.

Leslie
          Participant

I will post a new picture of Horny. I didn’t know it had to be titled cricket contest. Now to try and get a good picture of him. He is just laying in the corner on his vine. He won’t move again til he gets fed or I take him out of his tank.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Ok. lol. If you cant, I thought the picture of him on his vine you already posted was nice. Especially if you can lighten it up a little. He looks like a dragon

ABMoore22
          Participant

I warmed up the photo for you. (I hope that’s ok) You dont have to use it. Just thought it’d show ya what I meant. If you wanna save it (from computer) right click, then ‘save as’. On a phone i think you just hold your finger on it then save.

Attachments:
          Leslie
          Participant

Sure I’ll use that one. He is in that same place right now sleeping. Must be his favorite place. I am going to get him a hammock soon, I think he will like it. It seems he likes being off the ground. The ground is for food only.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Haha, My Leopard Gecko is like that. He has a ledge I made him for climbing, but he only gets on it when I open the lid to feed him. I call it his eating spot.

Leslie
          Participant

My nephew just got a leopard gecko. Its cute. It must be a baby though cause it is small. He doesn’t live with me. I told him he better take care of it or I’ll beat his butt. He usually only takes care of things for a month or two then his mom and dad has to cause he won’t. I already told them if it gets to the point of being to much for them I’ll take it. I love animals.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Aw. Its must be young. My sons is about 6-9 months old now and hes about 6-7 inches nose to tail. My boy is like that with the pet care but now I just say, “come on, time to feed/water/play” with whichever pet instead of me just doing it for him. No more loss of interest. lol. They are a lot of fun though.

Leslie
          Participant

I know they will get tired of it. I gave him a turtle cause he wanted one and after about 2 months his mom and dad got stuck taking care of it. He was trying his hardest to get Horny from me, but it didn’t work. I usually cave but not this time. It’s not that I didn’t want the turtle, but I still have 2 and I don’t like seeing him cry it makes me feel bad. But yeah his gecko is I think his mom said 3 months old. They are afraid of it cause when they try to hold it they say it hisses at them. I imagine it’s scared after just being relocated. I told them to give it a few days before they try to hold it again.

Zoodulcis

Excellent advice to them! Right now they should not handle it at all. The more they stress it out at this early phase, the longer the socialization period will take. You can mention to them that a zoologist and animal behaviorist said so.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Great advice from both you and Zoo, as usual. 🙂 Dont hold or mess with much for at least the first week. Ours was about 4 months old when we got him I think. He screamed and hissed a few times in the beginning too. He’s so tame now he comes running out of his cave and climbs up our arms.

I removed everything from his tank (or just placed him in a tupperware. Much easier) and just placed my hand in there and didnt move it. Just acted like it was something to hide behind. Once he was relaxed with that for a few days and used it for hiding, I let him eat off my hand (not everyone is ok with bugs crawling on them though. I used wax worms. Use tongs if they want.) Just did that about 3-4 times a week. Next step was just letting him run from hand to hand like an escalator. If youre relaxed, the more they will be and run less.

Zoodulcis

I think AB’s description of a good way to proceed, after, and only after, he has had time to grow acquainted with his new home, undisturbed, is perfect. Around week three, proceed with AB’s recommended solution to socialization. I would change only one thing. Do what she recommends in the habitat itself. Taking the pet to a new location adds to its confusion, and usually stress. The more variables you can eliminate, the better, and the faster you will see the desired results.

ABMoore22
          Participant

Thank you for the clarifications and alterations. I do agree about the tupperware, mine just freaked out so much seeing all his hides go the it seemed easier on him to just use a tub. For some reason he relaxed quicker. But who knows, before I got him he could have been kept in a tub like some breeders do.

Leslie
          Participant

I’m usually pretty good with the relocation and getting it used to handling. The thing is my nephew is only 8 years old and he doesn’t listen worth crap. If you tell him not to do something he will do it any way. If I tell him not to do something he will run to his mom or dad and they tell him he doesn’t need to listen to me. So whatever they do is their own fault. I can not be blamed for it like usual.

Zoodulcis

Sounds like a tough situation. Have you guys had a family sit down, where you’ve made your views known? It sounds like where pets are concerned, an unhealthy dynamic has evolved.

Viewing 1 reply thread